[Geojson] [Geowanking] [georss] openARML augmented Reality Markuplanguage ~ extended KML?

Carl Reed creed at opengeospatial.org
Sat Oct 10 07:03:43 PDT 2009

To follow up on Greg's comments.

A few weeks ago, I attended Intergeo 2009 in Karlsruhe. I saw detailed demonstrations of some of the work being done by Fraunhofer for emergency services, disaster management, and alerting. A blend of mapping (2d and 3d), AR, CAD/GIS/BIM integration, and sensor fusion. Very impressive. I also saw a really cool AR type demonstration from CPA Systems (http://www.cpa-systems.de/). They had a CityGML file for all of Stuttgart (LOD3). The file was stored in its native format (no translation) in a database on a server. They had a game boy control linked to low end laptop that was linked wirelessly to the internet. They had a client application on the laptop that allowed the user to use the gameboy to control driving through the virtual city. All the urban model information was rendered directly from the CityGML file on the server. Very impressive. No hercky jerky. As they say, evidence that XML is not the enemy. Their next step is to fuse other layers, such as tree and annotation, into the virtual scene. They are also working on deploying a mobile version of the application. Everything they are doing is standards based - but very video game in concept.

 To add to the mix, there are now a number of applications for BIM (IFCs) <=> CityGML transformations, such as the work by Bentley or Snowflake or Onuma/BimStorm.

And finally a number of organizations, such as Hitachi, are intensively researching standards based approaches that blend indoor navigation and AR. And not a word about GIS - all the content is coming from CAD drawings.

And, Anselm, CityGML encodes position, orientation, metadata, and relationships as well as semantics.

I think the "pure" AR community would be well served to understand and learn from existing work.

Carl