[GeoJSON] spec clarification of CRS

Matt McClure matthewlmcclure at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 19:50:45 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Raj Singh <raj at rajsingh.org> wrote:

> I do see now that section 3 says "CRS shall not change coordinate
> ordering" so I guess that's what you mean, so I suppose the specification
> is internally consistent so that if EPSG:4326 is specified as the CRS
> ignore whatever axis ordering that implies and just know that the
> coordinates will be in x, y order.

I think I also understand this now. I had interpreted the statement, "CRS
shall not change coordinate ordering," as "A GeoJSON representation MUST
NOT reference a CRS that specifies a coordinate ordering inconsistent with
the default."

Rereading it now, I believe it means, "The coordinate ordering in a GeoJSON
representation MUST be x, y, z regardless of any ordering specified by a
linked or named CRS".

Is that right?

--
Matt McClure