[GeoJSON] erratum 5069

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Tue Jun 19 08:31:44 PDT 2018

Hi,

This topic was discussed in this gdal-dev thread
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/gdal-dev-Time-for-a-new-GeoJSON-driver-td5278061.html.

Conclusion: the mathematical right hand rule is what the GeoJSON
specification implements (winding as fingers of the right hand wind, so
counterclockwise). Unfortunately another well known specification, the
ESRI shapefile one, calls the opposite winding order with clockwise
outer ring also as a right hand rule even a better name could have been
"right arm rule" - when you walk along the rings your right arm points
to the interior.

The erratum is incorrect.

-Jukka Rahkonen-