[GeoJSON] erratum 5069

Martin Raifer tyr.asd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 08:01:02 PDT 2018

I'm wondering about the following reported erratum on rfc7946
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5069 about section 3.1.6.:

> It seems like the clockwise/counterclockwise descriptions are the opposite of the right-hand rule. Walking an exterior ring in a counterclockwise direction would have the exterior of the ring to the right of the observer.

I believe that this erratum is incorrect and that the given
interpretation of the "right hand rule" in rfc7946 – exterior ring
have counterclockwise winding order – is actually the intended one. Is
that correct?

I'm not very familiar with RFC errata (and their statuses [1]), but it
looks to me like it was reported, but not yet verified or rejected. It
would certainly be nice to have the status of this erratum clarified
(for example so that the rfc7946 page no longer IMHO falsely states
that "Errata Exist"). Or is the verification process already in
progress?

Best,
Martin Raifer

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata-definitions/