[GeoJSON] New initiative following geojson's success looking for suggestions

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Sat Jan 10 15:44:05 PST 2015

Hey Calvin,

On 01/10/2015 07:30 PM, Calvin Metcalf wrote:

> Your first 3 questions you can answer by looking through the archives,
> this is likely how most people would answer it even if they where
> there :)

You're right, I didn't think about it.
I will take some time aside and read some of the archive.

> As for the rest, geojson was designed with users in mind. This is as
> opposed to well known text which was designed to be all encompassing
> and covered many corner cases at the cost of complexity.

I like this approach, and it's exactly why we also think we need a JSON
data interchange format for networks, other protocols for network
already exist and are very detailed, but too complex and a pain to work
with.

One last question: is this
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-butler-geojson-04.txt finalized/approved?
Am I wrong or it took quite some years to submit it to the IETF? Was a
deliberate choice or it was just because nobody had time before?

Thank you very much
Federico