[GeoJSON] Greetings and schemas

Erik Wilde dret at berkeley.edu
Tue May 27 08:24:10 PDT 2014

hello bill.

On 2014-05-27, 7:24 , Simser, Bil wrote:
> First time on the list so be gentle. I’m currently building a .NET
> library that converts KML to GeoJSON (basically a .NET version of a
> JavaScript project but I needed it for client/server operations). As I’m
> working through the project I found an initiative around creating
> schemas for JSON (http://json-schema.org/) and thought it might be
> useful to have a GeoJSON schema for validation (currently I’m just
> validating through code checks in unit tests).

the issue with JSON schemas is that there is no stable language to write
them in. there were and are a couple of proposals, but there isn't the
one language do rule them all such as DTD or XSD for XML.

the reason is that parts of the JSON community don't like the idea of a
schema language at all. there is a lingering perma-thread on the IETF
JSON list, and because of the heated debates, i think nobody ever had
the energy to really follow through with a proposal and define and
standardize a schema language.

that doesn't mean that there aren't scenarios where schemas might be
useful. just don't be surprised to get passionate reactions when you
bring up the idea of schemas and a schema language in JSON-land.

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret at berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |