[GeoJSON] Unique media type for GeoJSON?

Chris Metcalf chris.metcalf at socrata.com
Wed May 7 10:58:05 PDT 2014

We're building out an API that outputs both our own JSON format as well as
GeoJSON, and we allow clients to negotiate formats using the HTTP Accept
header.

However, since most implementations seem to use application/json as the
mimetype for GeoJSON, we would not properly be able to differentiate a
client's desires using headers alone.

It looks like there has been some discussion around defining a mimetype or
profile for GeoJSON. Has that gotten anywhere?

http://lists.geojson.org/htdig.cgi/geojson-geojson.org/2013-June/000808.html
http://lists.geojson.org/htdig.cgi/geojson-geojson.org/2013-June/000809.html
http://lists.geojson.org/htdig.cgi/geojson-geojson.org/2012-October/000683.html

We're currently planning on using "application/json+geojson" for GeoJSON
output, but I'd prefer to go with whatever already has more adoption.

Thanks,

Chris Metcalf
Director of Platform
chris.metcalf (at) socrata.com