[GeoJSON] Experimenting with GeoJSON text sequences

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 08:51:49 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Is anybody else following the progress of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-04? Very long
GeoJSON feature collections are just as much of a pain point as the log
file example that motivates the I-D, right? Seems like a standard way to
incrementally parse and process GeoJSON objects could be a good thing.

Version 4 of the draft uses LF as a record separator, but some are arguing
for RS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter#ASCII_delimited_text). I
hope that doesn't win, because support for RS is weak.

I'm experimenting with LF separated feature collection as JSON sequence
here:

https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/commit/5ea4e7ec7e39be626b85d9e87d8a8e15a7727eb5

Anybody else interested in seeing if this is useful or not? We could
provide some good feedback for the IETF's JSON working group.

--
Sean Gillies