[GeoJSON] GeoJSON Digest, Vol 64, Issue 3

Jeff Yutzler jeffy at imagemattersllc.com
Fri Apr 4 07:50:22 PDT 2014

Howard,

The temporal aspects of GML 3 suffer from the same problem as the rest of
GML 3 - waaaay too complicated. Except for specialized domains, the only
aspects of GML that have gained any semblance of traction are the ones
based on the simple features profile. GML is so unwieldy that the OGC
Moving Features SWG did not even consider it as the basis of their work.
How's that for a vote of confidence?

By "right path" I am suggesting a simple JSON encoding that mirrors the
existing GeoJSON structure. As far as I can tell, the following are needed:

   - A datetime property (adjacent to "geometry")
   - A default datetime encoding. ISO 8601[1]? Analogous to coordinate.
   (Don't touch temporal reference systems with a 10' pole.)
   - Instant, period, and sequence types (analogous to point, line, and
   multipoint, though strangely the sequence is missing from prior art such as
   ISO 19108 and GML)

This seems to cover the 80-90% case. For example, you can encode a moving
object (anything from a GPS tracker to a weather system) as a single
feature with a MultiPoint or GeometryCollection geometry and align array
indexes to the datetime instants in the time sequence.

It would take no time at all to write this up, but where it should live is
a question I can't answer.

-Jeff

[1] Note the discussion at
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/OnTheNightmareThatIsJSONDatesPlusJSONNETAndASPNETWebAPI.aspx