[GeoJSON] Time and GeoJSON, redux

Raj Singh raj at rajsingh.org
Fri Apr 4 07:03:58 PDT 2014

It's very hard to handle time simply and elegantly. This came up regarding GeoRSS years ago (with many of the same people as are here on GeoJSON). I can't find the idea proposed any more. It should have been saved on [1] but it's not. The final decision was to not do anything because it could quickly become a messy can of worms.

My take is that it would be easy to define a simple extension that allowed a feature to have a beginning time and an end time. That's just 2 new properties that can be ignored by older parsers. Pelagios [2] does that, and so does my OpenPOIs [3] service. As Sean says, that would support "story map" applications nicely.

However, what people will quickly want is a data model that handles one or more properties that change over time. If the changing property is geography, then that's a "moving feature". That gets hard because you may have millions of time/location observations for a single feature. If the changing property is some environmental measurement like CO2 or salinity, then you have a sensor with the same complexities. Any of these "moving" or "changing" feature use cases probably imply a more sophisticated application that GeoJSON wants to support. That's up to the community, but go into it knowing there's not going to be a really clean, simple answer because the problem is so much more complex than what is being addressed now.

[1] http://www.georss.org/proposals.html
[2] https://github.com/pelagios/pelagios-cookbook/wiki/Pelagios-Gazetteer-Interconnection-Format
[3] http://openpois.net/
---