[GeoJSON] Removing CRS from GeoJSON

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Wed May 15 15:28:43 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-15 20:03, Allan Doyle wrote:

> On May 15, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Tim Schaub ... wrote:
>
>> Yes, the suggestion to remove the "crs" member is a backwards
>> incompatible change (it means one and only one CRS for GeoJSON).  As
>> far as I can tell, the suggestion to add the "crsURN" member is also
>> backwards incompatible (there was no mention of the old "crs" member
>> in the updated spec).
>>

> crsURN was not really discussed earlier, I don't think it would be a
> good thing to do.

crs and bbox are optional members of a GeoJSON object, so dropping the
member crs is one possible change that of course forces consumers to
switch to default CRS interpretation. That has been discussed since
April a bit.

the names first "crsRef" and second "crsURN" were created to better
reflect the ideas on the list, to only reference (that is pure
delecation) and to make clear, that this is not the good old crs object
anymore.

Changing the semantics of the value for a member but leaving the key
unchanged that is what I would consider really breaking older behavior.

The new names are just suggestions, for the scenario, where such a
"pointing-only" concept needs a "home" inside the JSON object.

All the best,

Stefan.