[GeoJSON] Removing CRS from GeoJSON

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed May 15 10:08:11 PDT 2013

Tim, I think the situation that we have at the moment is better than you
describe, but not by much. We have “allow any CRS and axis order will
always be lon/lat or easting/northing”. We did that to avoid the burden of
carrying around axis order knowledge. But it still has the burden on
needing to know what EPSG:27700, or whatever, means. Web clients still have
to get the WKT, Proj.4 string, etc, from that id (assuming that they can
work with the result). So we dodged one bullet, but not the other, arguably
more complex, one.

> **

Regarding the bullet dodging, web clients don't actually have to know squat
about EPSG:27700 if they use GeoJSON and WMS 1.1 - they just have to match
strings to know that they are the same.  WMS 1.1 described a rendering
service where coordinate order could be mapped to rendering concepts like
"top" and "left" (well known by web clients who deal with images).  GeoJSON
maintained the same - a known mapping of coordinate order to rendering
orientation.  So we very intentionally made GeoJSON work well with existing
rendering services.

--
Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/