[GeoJSON] Removing CRS from GeoJSON

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed May 15 02:47:19 PDT 2013

I'm happy with removing CRS altogether, and forcing "lon/lat relative to an ellipsoidal CRS based on the WGS84 datum". That matches most usage that I'm aware of (and KML).

I'd be wary of adding EPSG:3857 because it is the thin end of a very fat wedge.

Tim, I think the situation that we have at the moment is better than you describe, but not by much. We have "allow any CRS and axis order will always be lon/lat or easting/northing". We did that to avoid the burden of carrying around axis order knowledge. But it still has the burden on needing to know what EPSG:27700, or whatever, means. Web clients still have to get the WKT, Proj.4 string, etc, from that id (assuming that they can work with the result). So we dodged one bullet, but not the other, arguably more complex, one.

Here's a pull request of mine:

https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/draft-geojson/pull/3

Martin