[GeoJSON] Future plans for GeoJSON

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Wed May 1 22:09:05 PDT 2013

Am 01.05.13 22:56, schrieb Sean Gillies:
> Howard, I can't let you take all the blame for GeoJSON's crs. A lot of
> that is my doing. And I think you're right that projection in the
> browser (like http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4498292 or
> http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4319903) changes the game entirely. All
> projecting geographic servers aren't as necessary as they used to be and
> long/lat ("urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC::CRS84") is increasingly sufficient.
>
> Mike, I'm in favor of a single indentifier string for crs as you have
> above for cases where long/lat just won't do. And I think that use of
> RFC 5165 URNs like "urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3857" make the most sense for
> a GeoJSON I-D. Perhaps a future CRSJSON could address cases not covered
> by OGC or EPSG.
>
> Other than Mike's election maps, what would break if we made crs an
> optional string (defaulting to "urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC::CRS84") instead of
> a JSON object?

as I notice some traction behind the first proposals to loosen the
coupling between the GeoJSON data and the crs (inside the GeoJSON
object) I updated the draft geojson-i-d in the repo to reflect my
current understanding of it and to get an idea how this would look like
in context.

I also suggest to

a) change the name fromcrs to something else to not break existing
clients, that might have problems with an optional member, whose value
changes type from object to string and

b) to set the key of this member to crsURN to reflect the domain
constraint to URNs (for now assumed to be as defined in RFC 5165.

The RFC 5165 has been added to the list of normative references and the
definition of URN has been inlcuded in the list of definitions.

Draft (paginated Text):
https://raw.github.com/GeoJSONWG/draft-geojson/master/draft.txt

Changes:
https://raw.github.com/GeoJSONWG/draft-geojson/master/CHANGES.txt