[GeoJSON] Future plans for GeoJSON

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:56:03 PDT 2013

Howard, I can't let you take all the blame for GeoJSON's crs. A lot of that
is my doing. And I think you're right that projection in the browser (like
http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4498292 or http://bl.ocks.org/mbostock/4319903)
changes the game entirely. All projecting geographic servers aren't as
necessary as they used to be and long/lat ("urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC::CRS84") is
increasingly sufficient.

Mike, I'm in favor of a single indentifier string for crs as you have above
for cases where long/lat just won't do. And I think that use of RFC 5165
URNs like "urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3857" make the most sense for a GeoJSON
I-D. Perhaps a future CRSJSON could address cases not covered by OGC or
EPSG.

Other than Mike's election maps, what would break if we made crs an
optional string (defaulting to "urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC::CRS84") instead of a
JSON object?

--
Sean Gillies