[GeoJSON] spec clarification of CRS

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Wed Dec 11 12:42:11 PST 2013

> I'd like to suggest that in section 3.1 Named CRS [1], a sentence be added
> that says, "EPSG:4326 identifiers such as EPSG:4326 and
> urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG:6.6:4326 are prohibited, as they define coordinate
> reference systems with Y-X axis order, which is illegal according to section
> 2.1.1."
> (a good reference on the issue is [2]).

-1

> As we move into 2014, confusion still reigns on this issue. And the current
> wording of the GeoJSON spec implies that EPSG:4326 is OK, which is an
> internally contradictory statement. Don't make the same mistake OGC did a
> decade ago!

I, for one, completely disagree. GeoJSON is explicit and consistent about axis order of the coordinates. All that it says is " use any CRS you like, but *always transfer the coordinates in this pre-defined order*".

That way, clients can be 100% sure that they can take the coordinates on face value, with or without a priori knowledge of the CRS, and with or without the ability to dereference any CRS definition.

No mistakes, no confusion. At least on the part of GeoJSON.

Martin