[GeoJSON] Future plans for GeoJSON

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Sat Apr 27 12:32:05 PDT 2013

On 26.04.13 20:57, Howard Butler wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2013, at 1:28 PM, Martin Daly <Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com> wrote:
>> I'd be up for helping with an RFC.

that's great news! So I spend some time in my editor mode ...

> SRSJSON RFC, or GeoJSON IETF RFC?  The former has some interest for
> me as well, especially if we nuke crs from GeoJSON as part of the
> IETF submission.

@Howard: Is SRSJSON the suggestion for a new name (to accomodate for the
more to the point focus after removing the CRS Object from the current
GeoJSON spec)? As I am new "here" that's at least what I understand from
the above paragraph. Please explain/advice, that would be very nice.

I have produced a first rough draft of a submittable
RFC-GeoJSON-minus-CRS-Object+CRS-ref-plus-hopefully-only-good-editorial-changes
in a small github repo to help me follow the discussions here on the
list and to foster the submission process.

Draft-Draft-Submission-Candidate:
https://raw.github.com/sdrees/geojson/master/draft-sdrees-geojson-format-spec-01.txt

Repo:
https://github.com/sdrees/geojson

Hope to not step on anyone's toes with providing a first draft but ...
I just could not resist.

What do you think?

In case you wonder where I started: I downloaded
http://geojson.org/geojson-spec.txt which seemed to be the most
"source-like" format of version 1.0 and then refactored to funnel it
into the currently most up to date looking toolchain (and so that we can
still easily revert it to mediawiki syntax for showing on geojson.org
etc. I chose to not use XML as source, but a tool to generate the
intermediate xml from).

PS: When I make changes, I edit the template.xml, middle.mkd and
back.mkd files, then pandoc2rfc together with xsltproc and xml2rfc do
the funny dance to walk from text to well submittable text ;-) the
pre-checks are performed with the idnits tool.

PPS: To shield us all against trolls, I created a LICENS.txt file which
mainly points out where these drafts are derived from and copied the
license head from the base document into it.

All the best,
Stefan.