[Geojson] Inclusion in OData

Arlo Belshee Arlo.Belshee at microsoft.com
Sun Nov 6 21:43:10 PST 2011

Makes sense.

So, we're going to publish OData V3 early next year (under OSP and/or OWF). In that spec, we are required to follow the same rules for normative references as the standards bodies do (due to lawyer action).

Since it sound like GeoJson may well go RFC, but not in that timeframe, then does an adaptation of Carl's approach make sense?

Something like:

1.       In the OData V3 spec, published under OSP and in final edits now, include:

a.       An informative reference to GeoJson.

b.      In a normative section, state exactly the subset of GeoJson that we want to use (an instantiation of the normative reference).

c.       In the examples, include GeoJson examples, copied from published GeoJson examples.

2.       When and if we take this to a standards body, they'll be producing the next version of OData. At that time, recommend that the body replace the GeoJson copy with a normative reference to the GeoJson RFC (assuming that it is released by then).

Does this approach work? It feels, to me, like OData is temporarily forking GeoJson, but we're not intending to update our fork. We're just freezing some version of GeoJson. Our intent is to, in the next release, merge back to GeoJson's main spec (once we can us a normative reference to it).

Does that meet the spirit of use that this community would like?

Arlo Belshee
Sr. Program Manager, OData, Microsoft