[Geojson] Ellipse spec

andy e virtualandy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 14:00:35 PDT 2011

I found an early (fake?) draft of GeoJSON that included an ellipse shape:
http://geopriv.dreamhosters.com/geojson/geojson-spec.html (in addition to
circle/sphere/etc)

Was there any discussion on why this was pulled? Couldn't seem to find any
by searching the list.

I guess that's not even that important, but we do have a use case for
storing and specifying ellipses. We're using MongoDB to store data and
wanted to store it in GeoJSON, but we obviously don't want to break the
spec, either.

Our first thought is to just use the properties and a Point to indicate an
ellipse:
i.e.

 { "type": "Feature",
      "geometry": {"type": "Point", "coordinates": [102.0, 0.5]},
      "properties": {"major": "1.0", "minor":"0.5", "rotation":"45"}
      }

Thoughts on that approach? Any thoughts on re-implementing ellipse/circle
back in the spec?

Is the spec fairly frozen at this point (it appears that way, but I'm
ignoramus as to those sorts of things)

Thanks!

Andy