[Geojson] shapefile to geojson or json

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:56:04 PDT 2009

On Aug 28, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Michael Savarese wrote:

> JavaScript/Dojo Newbie here.
>
> I'm playing around with ArcGisServer and UMN MapServer.
> Have some basic Newbie questions here.
>
> For a web map application I need attributes of a parcel (polygon) to
> be edited client side and written to server.
> Whats the difference between json and geojson?

Hi Mike,

JSON is a IETF standard, generic format. GeoJSON is a specific
application of JSON.

> Does a geojson file replace a ESRI shapefile?

No. GeoJSON is for transfer of features between clients and servers.
It's not for desktop GIS data interchange.

> Can geometry be edited and saved via geojson?

Sure: get a GeoJSON representation of a feature, modify the text, put
it back to a web resource or RPC endpoint.

> Whats the most efficient method to programmatically convert data to
> geojson or json, ogr2ogr?

Depends on your application.

> If anyone could point me to some sites for examples with code I'd
> appreciate it
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Mike

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/vector-formats.html