[Geojson] shapefile to geojson or json

Michael Savarese geodevelop at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:40:51 PDT 2009

JavaScript/Dojo Newbie here.

I'm playing around with ArcGisServer and UMN MapServer.
Have some basic Newbie questions here.

For a web map application I need attributes of a parcel (polygon) to be
edited client side and written to server.
Whats the difference between json and geojson?
Does a geojson file replace a ESRI shapefile?
Can geometry be edited and saved via geojson?
Whats the most efficient method to programmatically convert data to geojson
or json, ogr2ogr?

If anyone could point me to some sites for examples with code I'd appreciate
it

thanks in advance,

Mike