[Geojson] simple 3D geocode for AR

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Aug 28 10:14:05 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 09:56:54AM -0700, Andrew Turner wrote:
> Simplest?
>
> Just include a 3rd coordinate in GeoRSS-Simple point or GeoJSON point.
>
> No, this is not explicitly valid.

This is explicitly valid in GeoJSON:

A position is represented by an array of numbers. There must be at least
two elements, and may be more. The order of elements must follow x, y, z
order (easting, northing, altitude for coordinates in a projected
coordinate reference system, or longitude, latitude, altitude for
coordinates in a geographic coordinate reference system). Any number of
additional elements are allowed -- interpretation and meaning of
additional elements is beyond the scope of this specification.

 -- http://geojson.org/geojson-spec.html#positions

> But you see where that discussion
> gets us. Long windy roads of elusive semantic talk (arguably necessary
> in the lon term, but not simple or useable *now*, which is when people
> are building these tools).
>
> If we lose interest without achieving a near term concensus,
> developers will just do arbitrary, different solutions. Give them a
> simple answer now, even if it makes your strict-validation-only-skin
> crawl just a little bit. :)
>
> So I say just do it, and we'll catch up with documenting it as uses
> emerge.
>
> Also, KML already supports 3D points.
>
> Andrew
>

> (via mobile)
>
> On Aug 27, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Mike Liebhold <mnl at well.com> wrote:
>
> > A friend wrote me with a request for clarification on a topic we've
> > discussed many times here,  but every time we've approached a
> > consensus the answer seems elusive.
> >
> > Many devleopers are starting to create applications for iPhones and
> > Android phones to view location specific data  through the
> > viewfinder using the -imprecise- capabilities of the built in gps
> > and compass and applications platforms like Layar.
> >
> > The question:
> >
> > What is the -simplest- way to geocode a geoannotation in 3D using
> > geoRSS/Atom, geojson, KML ....?
> >
> > (Is there a practical reason why WGS '84 shouldn't be implicit, and
> > a CRS  lookup NOT be required?)

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta