[Geojson] simple 3D geocode for AR

Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos pvretano at cubewerx.com
Thu Aug 27 20:01:08 PDT 2009

Mike Liebhold wrote:
> A friend wrote me with a request for clarification on a topic we've
> discussed many times here,  but every time we've approached a consensus
> the answer seems elusive.
>
> Many devleopers are starting to create applications for iPhones and
> Android phones to view location specific data  through the viewfinder
> using the -imprecise- capabilities of the built in gps and compass and
> applications platforms like Layar.
>
> The question:
>
> What is the -simplest- way to geocode a geoannotation in 3D using
> geoRSS/Atom, geojson, KML ....?
>
> (Is there a practical reason why WGS '84 shouldn't be implicit, and a
> CRS  lookup NOT be required?)

Mike,

GeoRSS GML already says that if you do not specify an srsName on the geometry
then it is assumed to be WGS84 in decimal degrees.

I think the same is true from GeoJSON.

KML uses a fixed CRS with the identifier LonLat84_5773.

As for which encoding is simplest for 3D annotations on iPhone/Android phones
... dunno!

The simplest example of each of these encodings is pretty simple.

On the other hand, you could probably create some pretty long/complex entries too.

Ciao.

--
Panagiotis (Peter) A. Vretanos          CubeWerx Inc.
Big Kahuna (Senior Database Developer)  http://www.cubewerx.com
Tel. 416-701-1985  Fax. 416-701-9870    pvretano at cubewerx.com

If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a
Unix user to show you how it's done.  ~Scott Adams