[Geojson] clarification on Feature id

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Sat Mar 15 14:54:40 PDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 05:00:30PM -0400, Keith Jenkins wrote:
> In the example for FeatureCollection...
>   http://wiki.geojson.org/GeoJSON_draft_version_5#FeatureCollection
>
> ...each Feature object has an "id" property, which isn't mentioned in
> the specification section, 3.3.
>
> Is this "id" property supposed to be required or optional?  (I guess
> another possibility is that it should really be within "properties".)

"id" isn't part of the spec. So, it's definitely not required, though it
probably makes sense to put it there, and most implementations that I've
seen that have such a thing will do so. However, I've always seen it as
reasonably common sense, and not worked it into the spec (though I
wouldn't have a problem with making it recommended).

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta