[Geojson] Features without geometry

Stephen Battey Stephen.Battey at dottedeyes.com
Thu Sep 20 07:31:44 PDT 2007

A bit of background might help my explanation:
At the moment we have 2 actions on our server using JSON to transfer
information about features. The JSON structures were moulded around the
information being returned by the 2 actions. This lead to 2 different
JSON structures. But now that we've decided to roll out JSON to all our
actions we're looking to adopt a common structure.

Most of our actions will be passing features with spatial data, but for
some the geometry is not required. We see the definition of geometry as
an unnecessary overhead in these responses, which could be sending back
100s of features with complex geometry.
It does not make any sense to define a completely different JSON data
structure for these actions. So we would continue to use GeoJSON's
FeatureCollection to define the set of features, which at least makes
that part of the data structure consistent across all our actions.

So, in answer to your question, if we weren't representing spatial data
we'd still want to use GeoJSON to define a set of features (i.e. use the
specification of the FeatureCollection object).

Omitting the geometry is not a huge problem for us internally, we'll
just not set the geometry member when not required and write our
client-side parser to handle no geometry.
However, it would be a problem for our customers who write their own
client applications that connect to our server. We'd like to tell them
our server responds with GeoJSON and for them to be able to use any
GeoJSON parsing software they choose. But if GeoJSON parsers strictly
apply the GeoJSON spec they will fail to read the data we send when the
geometry member is omitted.

It seems inconvenient for developers using GeoJSON to have to customise
or write their own parser to handle a small non-conformance like this.
If the geometry member was optional what would be the practical
implications? After parsing a GeoJSON string developers would need to
check if a feature object had a geometry property before trying to read
its geometry. Are there are any further ramifications?
I'm trying to avoid it, but this re-opens the discussion of whether the
"type" member is required. If "geometry" is optional the "type" member
is necessary to identify a feature.

Steve