[Geojson] GeometryCollection not treated as a Geometry type

John Herring john.herring at oracle.com
Mon Oct 8 07:30:10 PDT 2007

Case in point (pardon the semi-pun):

>From the place cited:

>> In addition to the type member, any GeoJSON object that represents
>> a single geometry (referred to as a geometry object below) must have
>> a member with the name "coordinates". This does not apply to geometry
>> objects of type "GeometryCollection".
>> For type "Point", each element in the coordinates array is a number
>> representing the point coordinate in one dimension. The order of
>> elements follows x, y, z order (or longitude, latitude, elevation for
>> coordinates in decimal degrees).
>> For type "MultiPoint", each element in the coordinates array is a
>> coordinates array as described for type "Point".

This has a couple of semantic disconnects. First, the concept of a single
geometry is undefined. A geometry collection is a single object, and
represents a single geometry (albeit potentially disconnected). A multipoint
is a geometry collection but is included as an example in a list from which
geometry collections are specifically excluded. And Point is defined in such
a manner as to confuse it with multipoint. Three sentences with three
confusions of terminology is a bit dense for special casing. While I do not
mind folks ignoring ISO 19107 (which is the official OGC geometry volume) in
small things, it is disconcerting to have the requirement to catalogue the
disconnects to understand what is suppose to be a simple specification.

You guys are spending way too much time being different for no apparent
reason. It is a waste of your time, and will be a waste of the time of the
reader who will have to realize the differences in rules in each
specification instead of following a consistent approach for all OGC
specification of geometry representations. Occam and Einstein both saw that
simple things should be done simply.

Regards,
John

You do what you can when you can because you can.

The opinions expressed in this email are
purely my own and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of any organization
or otherwise sane person or persons.

John R. Herring
Architect, Spatial Products
Oracle Corporation