[Geojson] Dropping Box

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Oct 11 08:49:25 PDT 2007

After an IRC-based strawpoll of all the people I thought were interested
in Box, I've found that very few of them actually are.

One of the problems with "Box" is that most of the time, it's not mapped
in such a way that it's reversible -- I've confirmed with three
different implementors that they simply map "box" to a Polygon
internally, which is Not So Great.

So, in accordance with Simple Features (and with simplifying the spec),
I'd like to drop the 'Box' geometry type entirely.

This abandons similarity with GeoRSS in favor of conformance with Simple
Features and mapping more directly into the geometry model used by most
existing geo implementations.

Is there anyone in favor of keeping "Box" as a geometry type?

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta