[GeoJSON] Integrating GeoJSON with other kinds of data via JDIL

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Fri Jun 1 08:44:33 PDT 2007

This seems like a very good proposal, but Sean does have a valid point.

What would the thoughts be on not requiring the namespace if the data
was *just* GeoJSON, but require the namespace when the geo is brought
into other JSON/JDIL data?

Andrew

On 6/1/07, Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I like RDF and all, but I think we should stick to plain old JSON. It
> seems to me that JDIL applications could trivially JDIL-ify dumb GeoJSON
> data.
>
> Cheers,
> Sean
>
> chris goad wrote:
> > I've been working with JSON for geo for a year or so at Platial. I love the simplicity and conciseness of JSON, but there were things that I missed from earlier work with RDF - not the whole  stack, but basic capabilities for data integration. JDIL  (Jason Data Integration Layer -  http://jdil.org )  , which I formulated earlier this year, was my stab at retrieving what was missing; JDIL has nothing specific to do with geo, but implementing geo inside JDIL makes it play well with other data.
> >
> > Briefly stated, JDIL is a thin encoding on top of JSON  which adds namespaces, and labeling of objects for representing object graphs as well as trees.  Labels may be URIs, which supports merging of property-value assertions from different sources about the same object.   JDIL implements the core of the RDF data model  within JSON,  though RDF need not be mentioned in explanations of JDIL.
> >
> > Minor changes in GeoJSON would make it compliant with JDIL's conventions, and as a consequence would allow  GeoJSON to  mixed with other kinds of data in a wider range of applications. This is an important benefit, since geo applications that involve data of other varieties are the norm rather than the exception.  The changes : 1)  support the namespace construct, and allocate a URI for the GeoJSON namespace, 2) utilize the generic JDIL "@type" name for the type-of concept.
> >
> > In pure geo applications (eg sending feature geometry off to a client for rendering), the overhead is miniscule. A pure GeoJSON file would need only  include  this property in the root object:
> >
> > "@namespaces":  {"":"http://whateverthegeojsonuriturnsouttobe"}
> >
> > This specifies a blank prefix for the GeoJSON namespace, removing the need to prefix GeoJSON properties in the body.
> >
> > Platial supports JDIL in its feeds and api, with GeoRSS properties carrying the geo.  I'd like to add support for GeoJSON as well.
> >

> > -- Chris

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W
http://highearthorbit.com              Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA