[GeoJSON] Best way to serve GeoJSON from Windows IIS

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Fri Jul 20 14:40:57 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 03:15:28PM -0500, Matt Priour wrote:
> I thought y'all might be able to help me figure out the best way to serve GeoJSON out from a Windows 2K Server on IIS.
>
> I have a MySQL db with WKT geometries in a geometry column. I want to query the db and respond with GeoJSON.
> What's the best way to do this?
> FeatureServer?

FeatureServer can talk to anything that OGR can talk to. I've only
tested it with GML, shapefiles and PostGIS, but it sounds (from howard's
datasource for this.

Requirements are only that you have the OGR Python bindings installed --
everything else is pure python and easy to install.

If it turns out not to work, I'll be glad to help you with it on the
FeatureServer mailing list.

> Would the answer change if I was able to convince the client to move the data to a PostgresSQL db with PostGIS?

>From the point of view of FeatureServer, I have more experience with
serving data from PostGIS than from OGR. The requirements still include
ogr Python bindings (since the data is loaded from WKB using OGR), and
also tack on the psycopg modules. From my point of view, this type of
usage is the best supported by FeatureServer currently.

If there are any problems setting up FeatureServer, I'd be glad to help
out with them, and the latest FeatureServer includes support for
exporting GeoJSON per the current spec.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt