[GeoJSON] Current state of the RFC

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Mon Apr 23 09:54:51 PDT 2007

I was just going to "clean up" the RFC, thinking it would be a simple
matter of dotting some I's and crossing some T's...

Not quite... we now have two distinct classes of geometry types.

1. Those which have "geometry" in the feature

2. Those which have "members" in the feature

This means that you can no longer use the existence of geometry.type
as a means of figuring out what you're dealing with.

Furthermore, you can't a priori tell the difference between a
MultiLineString and a GeometryCollection or a MultiPolygon and a
GeometryCollection.

 From my personal perspective, this does not bother me, I don't feel
I would ever need the multi's or the geometry collections, but for
those of you who do, I think it warrants a little more thought.

One solution would be to simply drop all the multi-kruft and stick
with Point, LineString, Polygon, and Box. I'm inclined to do that and
let the multi-people write RFC-002, but I can be swayed by cogent
arguments.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle