[GeoJSON] Fwd: [Geojson] I-D Action: draft-ietf-geojson-04.txt

Martin Daly Martin.Daly at cadcorp.com
Thu Jun 23 12:45:34 PDT 2016

> It looks that with this version the use of any other CRS than CRS:84 is denied. If
> there still happens to be users who prefer some other CRS for example because
> round-trip from the native CRS used in the database into
> CRS:84 and back may change the cooordinates, should they start calling such
> geospatial JSON with some other name than GeoJSON?

4. CRS says:

"Note: the use of alternative coordinate reference systems was
   specified in [GJ2008], but has been removed from this version of the
   specification because the use of different coordinate reference
   systems -- especially in the manner specified in [GJ2008] -- has
   proven to have interoperability issues.  In general, GeoJSON
   processing software is not expected to have access to coordinate
   reference systems databases or to have network access to coordinate
   reference system transformation parameters.  However, where all
   involved parties have a prior arrangement, alternative coordinate
   reference systems can be used without risk of data being
   misinterpreted."

The last sentence should cover your use case.

Martin