[GeoJSON] polygon orientation, trying number 2

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Sat Jul 16 10:25:00 PDT 2016

Hi Sean,

Would you mind to check also if what is written about the right-hand
rule is correct:

"Polygon rings MUST follow the right-hand rule for orientation
       (counter-clockwise external rings, clockwise internal rings)"

At least the ESRI shapefile specification defines the right-hand rule in
an opposite way:

"The order of vertices or orientation for a ring indicates which side of
the ring
is the interior of the polygon. The neighborhood to the right of an
observer walking along
the ring in vertex order is the neighborhood inside the polygon.
Vertices of rings defining
holes in polygons are in a counterclockwise direction. Vertices for a
single, ringed
polygon are, therefore, always in clockwise order."

For me it seems that GeoJSON specification is following the left-hand
rule, not the right-hand rule.

-Jukka Rahkonen-