[GeoJSON] polygon orientation, trying number 2

Anna Eivazi Anna.Eivazi at sharpershape.com
Thu Jul 14 03:56:03 PDT 2016

Hello geojson-gurus,

First of all, thank you for all your good work about geojson, we love to use it!;)

I've got a question after trying to figure out which orientation to use for polygons.

So I've read your latest specs:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-geojson/?include_text=1

Here it is said:

Polygon rings MUST follow the right-hand rule for orientation

      (counter-clockwise external rings, clockwise internal rings).
(clear answer to my question, right?)

But a bit upper in the same doc Polygon section:

A.3.  Polygons

   Coordinates of a Polygon are an array of LinearRing (see
   Section 3.1.6) coordinate arrays.  The first element in the array
   represents the exterior ring.  Any subsequent elements represent
   interior rings (or holes).

   No holes:

     {
         "type": "Polygon",
         "coordinates": [
             [
                 [100.0, 0.0],
                 [100.0, 1.0],
                 [101.0, 1.0],
                 [101.0, 0.0],
                 [100.0, 0.0]
             ]
         ]
     }
That would mean clockwise orientation...?

So, which one u are planning to use in future? So we will stick to it too!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Anna Eivazi