[GeoJSON] Use of GeoJSON as an RDF literal in GeoDCAT-AP

Andrea Perego andrea.perego at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Jul 27 15:14:28 PDT 2015

My apologies. The message was unintentionally sent before it was completed.

Please see below the full version.

----

Dear list,

I would like to ask your feedback on the use of GeoJSON as an RDF
literal in GeoDCAT-AP, a metadata profile based on and compliant with
the W3C Data Catalog Vocabulary, meant to define RDF bindings for
INSPIRE / ISO 19115 metadata.

Now, the XSLT implementing the current GeoDCAT-AP specification maps
the bounding box in the original ISO 19139 record to multiple
encodings - namely, WKT, GML and GeoJSON - specified as RDF literals
with property locn:geometry [1].

To type these literals, we use the datatypes defined in GeoSPARQL for
WKT and GML. However, as far as I know, there's no RDF/XML datatype
for GeoJSON. So, for the moment the adopted solution is to use for
this purpose the GeoJSON IANA media type.

You can find a detailed example in the XSLT documentation (Section:
"Geographic bounding box"):

https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/CITnet/stash/projects/ODCKAN/repos/iso-19139-to-dcat-ap/browse/documentation/Mappings.md#mapping-bbox

Could you please provide your advise?

BTW, GeoDCAT-AP is currently available for public review until the end
of August:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/node/144506/

Your feedback would be more than welcome!

Thanks!

Andrea

----
[1]http://www.w3.org/ns/locn#locn:geometry

--
Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
Scientific / Technical Project Officer

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

----
The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may
not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official
position of the European Commission.