[GeoJSON] New initiative following geojson's success looking for suggestions

Nemesis nemesis at ninux.org
Thu Nov 27 02:05:06 PST 2014

Hi everyone,

first of all, I want to thank you for putting effort in creating this
awsome open standard.

I started working with it justat the beginning of 2013, and soon after I
understood why this is amazing: it could make GIS libraries written in
completely different languages interoperable, making it easy to develop
and share bits of reusable code, it created an ecosystemand then finally
even github implemented it so that geojson files would be displayed as maps.

Working a lot inthe  networking field, I wondered: why there's no
standard JSON format to represent commonnetworking taskslike
configuration of devices, routing protocols topologies, monitoring data?
A JSON for networks like GeoJSON is for GIS.
Developing web apps that deal with networks is terribly painful. Why it
has to be like that?

So I started talking about this at the Google Summer of Code Reunion2014
in San Jose with some other peers and friends, we liked the idea and we
started working via mailing list and then I finally tried to put a first
draft on this repo: https://github.com/interop-dev/json-for-networks

I'm here to ask you a few questions, hoping that you can share with us
some of your experience.

  * how much time passed between the first idea and the first
    implementation?
  * how much time passed between the finalization of the spec and the RFC?
  * were there conflicts while defining the spec? If yes, do you have
    any suggestion for us in case it happens for us too?
  * how can we encourage others to implement the new format in their
    projects? How did you achieve this?
  * are there mistakes you did that you can share with us? Things to
    avoid at all costs?
  * are there suggestions you want to share with us?

Thank you very much for your attention.
Best regards
Federico Capoano