[GeoJSON] time in geojson

Karl Grossner karlg at stanford.edu
Sat Mar 8 10:39:25 PST 2014

Greetings,

I've begun trying to extend GeoJSON objects to include reference to the temporal attributes of geographic features alongside their spatial attributes (geometry). I just wrote a little blog post about this ( http://kgeographer.com/wp/joining-space-and-time-in-geographic-features/ ). It involves trying to fold in elements of Topotime, which models PeriodCollections; http://dh.stanford.edu/topotime , and its handling of uncertain time.

I've approached this two ways: 1) adding a "periods": [ ] array to a GeoJSON FeatureCollection ( https://github.com/kgeographer/catalhoyuk/blob/master/figurine.json ); and 2) adding one or more "temporalExtent": [{}] element of a GeoJSON feature ( https://github.com/kgeographer/catalhoyuk/blob/master/geotemporal_fig.json )

Added to that, I'd like to make this JSON-LD compatible. This isn't a theoretical exercise! I have 200-300k archaeological features to publish as linked data and looking to do it in useful way that adds something to the modeling conversation.

I'd be very interested to hear comments from the GeoJSON development team and user community on this; granted I don't have a full-fledged proposal worked out, but hopefully enough for a discussion.

cheers,
Karl

Karl Grossner
Digital Humanities Research Developer