[GeoJSON] GeoJSON Digest, Vol 64, Issue 1

Karl Grossner karlg at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 2 12:44:20 PDT 2014

Sean (and list),

Love the 'little...for a while' reference :^)

I can see why extending the core to include time would be a stretch right now, particularly since it can probably be managed pretty well with LD and "properties" -- it's then an application level task to interpret a "timestamp" or "timespans" property.

The idea of co-equal spatial and temporal extents in a single standard is really appealing to my inner ontologist, but any pragmatic means for modeling 'Iron Age Britain' and "Neolithic Levant' as GeoJSON (or GeoJSON-LD) features will do, and that seems within sight. I do agree that attempting fuzzy spatial extents is a similar 'core-or-not' issue.

I will stay tuned and have some sort of working Topotime/LD example to show soon -- by mid-May 'for sure.'

I also agree that CIDOC doesn't relate technically at this point but thought it worth noting that they are 'in the space' actively looking to model space-time. The seemingly increasing traction of CIDOC in some fields makes what they do at least tangentially relevant to me -- always looking for conceptual common ground.

cheers, kg