[GeoJSON] Content-type

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 08:52:30 PST 2013

Erik, Andrew:

It seems like the well established pattern on the web is
application/xxx+json: see GitHub's application/vnd.github.v3+json et al.
Flipping the hierarchy around could add confusion.

Looking at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bray-i-json-00#section-5, the
new I-JSON now *does* have room for profiles. So the future of being more
precise about GeoJSON could look like "application/json; profile=
http://geojson.org/profiles/collection", where
http://geojson.org/profiles/collection identifies a profile that extends
I-JSON and has type: FeatureCollection at the top.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Erik Wilde <dret at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> hello andrew.
>

> On 2013-11-04, 12:34 , Andrew Turner wrote:
>
>> I prefer post-fix the content type since geoJSON is a subset of JSON
>>   application/json+geo
>> For one, this makes it clear that it is `application/json` plus another
>> thing '+geo'. Additionally this would permit multiple suffix (e.g.
>> 'application/json+geo+ld'. Last, practically code can evaluate
>> 'contenttype =~ /application\/json/ and it would account for subsets.
>>

> i see your motivation, but it might be a better idea to stick to what
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6839 is saying. there are no multiple
> suffixes in that system, and the generic part goes last. this might not be
> the most sophisticated system in the world, and media types in general are
> not a very well modeled space. but GeoJSON probably shouldn't design and
> define its own way of how media types work. and given the above RFC, i am
> pretty confident that a registration request for application/json+geo would
> be rejected at this point in time.
>

> cheers,
>
> dret.
>
> --
> erik wilde | mailto:dret at berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
>            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |
>            | http://dret.net/netdret http://twitter.com/dret |

Sean Gillies