[GeoJSON] Extra Fields OK

Stefan Drees stefan at drees.name
Fri May 17 23:51:54 PDT 2013

On 16.05.13 20:45, Tim Schaub wrote:
> ... Really cool to see the Maps Engine usage.  ...
> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Frank Warmerdam ...wrote:
> ...BTW, in case it hadn't been noted before the newly published Google
>     Maps Engine API uses GeoJSON as the feature exchange format.
>
>     https://developers.google.com/maps-engine/documentation

maybe I overlooked it, but I did not find the term GeoJSON anywhere on
these documentation pages ;-) at first glance, but of course, when
searching for GeoJSON inside the Google Maps Engine API documentation
many places jumped into sight.

For people having a need for a direct link to documentation of the usage
of GeoJSON concepts in the current GoogleMaps Engine API:

https://developers.google.com/maps-engine/documentation/reference/v1/tables/features#resource

was the place, that looks like a portion from the geojson spec ...

There is also some "Best Practices" document at

https://developers.google.com/maps-engine/documentation/best-practices?hl=en#parsing_json_and_geojson

which includes a section on "Parsing JSON and GeoJSON" stating:
"""Assets are represented in JavaScript Object Notation (JSON). Feature
data is returned in GeoJSON format. We strongly recommend the use of
proper JSON and GeoJSON parsing libraries. Parsing by hand is
discouraged."""

Noting the latter just as we might want to include some processing
expectations or best practices advice in the forming geojson I-D.

All the best,

Stefan.