[GeoJSON] Extra Fields OK

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 16 11:38:07 PDT 2013

Folks,

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'm checking in just in
case.

In reading the GeoJSON doc it says:

"
2. GeoJSON Objects
GeoJSON always consists of a single object. This object (referred to as the
GeoJSON object below) represents a geometry, feature, or collection of
features.

The GeoJSON object may have any number of members (name/value pairs).
..."

Can I construe this to mean that it is acceptable to extra fields not in
the spec in GeoJSON objects under the assumption that baseline clients will
just ignore them?

I'm thinking of adding schema, bounding box and other stuff info feature
collections and I want to know if it is still legitimate to define it as
type: FeatureCollection.

BTW, in case it hadn't been noted before the newly published Google Maps
Engine API uses GeoJSON as the feature exchange format.

  https://developers.google.com/maps-engine/documentation

PS. as you might guess I wish the CRS was preserved but I obviously lean
towards paleolithic complexity, so I'm not objecting to a slim and trim
specification.

Best regards,
warmerdam at pobox.com