[GeoJSON] LineString with length zero (in a certain precision regime)

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed May 15 07:53:41 PDT 2013

You could call it cargo cult.

See, for example, the geometry primitives schema for GML 3.2.1:
http://schemas.opengis.net/gml/3.2.1/geometryPrimitives.xsd

    <complexType name="LineStringSegmentType"> <complexContent> <extension
base="gml:AbstractCurveSegmentType"> <sequence> <choice> <choice
minOccurs="2" maxOccurs="unbounded"> <element ref="gml:pos"/> <element
ref="gml:pointProperty"/> <element ref="gml:pointRep"/> </choice> <element
<attribute name="interpolation" type="gml:CurveInterpolationType"
fixed="linear"/> </extension> </complexContent> </complexType>
So perhaps the justification is to work well with other geometry
serializations.

Tim

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo http://opengeo.org/