[GeoJSON] Plug-Pull request to finalize a CRS-free I-D revision

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 09:37:31 PDT 2013

Since we don't have consensus on removing the CRS member, let's leave that
as it was. Agreed?

We have 3 pull requests pending right now:

  https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/draft-geojson/pulls

It seems the thing to do now is close 6 and 9, merge 10, and then restore
the old language about CRS.

Thanks for your input, Mike and Nelson!

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Allan Doyle <afdoyle at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Final thoughts: I admit I was one of the people originally advocating
> dropping crs. I've changed my mind. We screwed it up, but it would be worse
> to compound the error.
>
> Like Allan, I've changed my mind too. Changing srs in any way is likely to
> compound the problem. It is stinky for sure, and SRS interop beyond a
> simple EPSG code is likely to be more of a gentlemen's agreement rather
> than true interop, but its removal is not going to fix the problem. It will
> just fragment things and create more confusion.
>
> I would like to propose that we add an Errata/Appendix C section to the
> bottom of the document that warns of the various pitfalls without making
> prescriptions about how people should act. Notes about srs would obviously
> go there, but also things like ring ordering in situations where spherical
> coordinates are being used, and axis ordering for the large swath of
> coordinate systems that GeoJSON insufficiently describes. This section can
> recognize the usage patterns that have emerged with GeoJSON in the 5 years
> since its release. Links to various mailing list discussions, github
> tickets, etc might also be useful for someone looking to do some deep
> research before declaring us and the specification to be idiotic.
>
> Howard

Sean Gillies