[GeoJSON] Plug-Pull request to finalize a CRS-free I-D revision

Mike Bostock mike at ocks.org
Thu Jun 13 16:57:50 PDT 2013

Nelson tells me I misunderstood the proposal, so if I could clarify:

I very much want projected coordinates for TopoJSON; it allows me to make a
faster client and optimize the serialized representation for a specific
display. For example, I can specify a simplification threshold in square
pixels rather than steradians. However, I don’t need to know the CRS to
display the projected coordinates—although this means the format is not
self-describing.

So by extension, while I would greatly prefer that all primary sources
(e.g., TIGER) provide data in WGS84, it’s highly desirable to have a
geometry representation that allows Cartesian coordinates, as well as
spherical. I’m neutral on whether those Cartesian coordinates must be
formally described in the format.

Mike