[GeoJSON] Plug-Pull request to finalize a CRS-free I-D revision

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 16:04:32 PDT 2013

Stefan, all:

I think we should continue with your proposal, but I hear that other
authors are having second thoughts about removing CRS after all. Allan?
Howard?

GitHub's new maps for .geojson files is revealing a lot about how people
perceive the format. Here, Ben Balter (of GitHub) says support for other
CRS is being considered:

  https://twitter.com/BenBalter/status/345280641715298305

I assume he doesn't mean different map tiles, but reprojection of Illinois
State Plane X to Web Mercator. They'll need CRS in the file to accomplish
this across all repositories. I'd rather the City of Chicago and everyone
else did their GeoJSON in CRS84, but it seems we'll have to get GitHub on
board to do so.

And here's someone who didn't realize that GeoJSON covered CRS at all:

  https://twitter.com/iandees/status/345281028132315137

IMO, this is because we didn't do it well and good examples never appeared.

Sean Gillies