[GeoJSON] (no subject)

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Fri Aug 9 03:49:58 PDT 2013

Hi,

Most GIS formats do not support nested features like GPX does. In GPX
tracks and routes are linear features with a set of attributes and they
contain track and route points which are point features with their own set
of attributes. Something to read about nested features can be found from
this document:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/GML+Schema+support+requirements

Handling GPX track points as coordinates with XYZM dimensios is not a
general solution because track points can have however complicated schema.
This is a track point schema of a GPX file which is recorded with
OziExplorer

track_fid: Integer (0.0)
track_seg_id: Integer (0.0)
track_seg_point_id: Integer (0.0)
ele: Real (0.0)
time: DateTime (0.0)
magvar: Real (0.0)
geoidheight: Real (0.0)
name: String (0.0)
cmt: String (0.0)
desc: String (0.0)
src: String (0.0)
link1_href: String (0.0)
link1_text: String (0.0)
link1_type: String (0.0)
link2_href: String (0.0)
link2_text: String (0.0)
link2_type: String (0.0)
sym: String (0.0)
type: String (0.0)
fix: String (0.0)
sat: Integer (0.0)
hdop: Real (0.0)
vdop: Real (0.0)
pdop: Real (0.0)
ageofdgpsdata: Real (0.0)
dgpsid: Integer (0.0)

I do not know if nested features are allowed in GeoJSON but they are in
any case hard to handle and an easier and still usable solution would be
to make the conversion application to create two GeoJSON files, one for
the track and another for the track points. This is also how GDAL GPX
driver works. GDAL finds totally five layers from a GPX data
http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_gpx.html

-Jukka Rahkonen-