[GeoJSON] Values along a line in GeoJSON

Mike Bostock mike at ocks.org
Thu Aug 8 07:57:53 PDT 2013

Seems to me that you could use coordinate positions of the form [*x*, *y*, *
a*, *b*, *c*, …], where *a*, *b*, *c*, … represent the values on your
additional dimensions. This assumes that I’m reading section 2.1.1 of the
specification correctly:

A position is represented by an array of numbers. There must be at least
> two elements, and may be more. The order of elements must follow x, y, z
> order (easting, northing, altitude for coordinates in a projected
> coordinate reference system, or longitude, latitude, altitude for
> coordinates in a geographic coordinate reference system). Any number of
> additional elements are allowed -- interpretation and meaning of additional
> elements is beyond the scope of this specification.

If I had to nitpick, the spec seems slightly contradictory here: if only
two elements are required (*x* and *y*), and the interpretation and meaning
of additional elements is beyond the scope of the specification, then it
seems to me like it wouldn’t be strictly required for the third dimension *z
* to represent altitude / elevation. But it probably would be a good idea
to start with *x*, *y*, *z*, regardless.

A related problem is whether the GeoJSON should be self-describing in
naming these additional dimensions, or if the reader simply has to know
what they mean. I don’t know the answer here.

Mike