[GeoJSON] Future plans for GeoJSON

Michael Geary mg at mg.to
Fri Apr 26 10:42:26 PDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Howard Butler <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:

> As one of the primary forces behind the CRS stuff, I support the removal
> of CRS from the GeoJSON specification. Adhoc specification of the
> coordinate system would then be left to the implementor, and a thousand
> turdblossoms can bloom.

I'm one of those rare people who use the GeoJSON CRS. I built a bunch of
election results maps for Google over the last few years, and to speed up
the JavaScript code a bit I used Spherical Mercator coordinates since those
convert directly to pixels with a single multiplication. So I use this CRS
in my GeoJSON files:

    "crs": {
        "type": "name",
        "properties": {
            "name": "urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3857"
        }
    }

with coordinates like these:

    "bbox": [ 737758, 4231185, 2061653, 5957068 ]

I suppose it wouldn't make any real difference whether the crs object is in
the standard or not, since I could just continue to use it in any case.
Maybe if it weren't in the standard I would feel free to simplify it to:

    "crs": "urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::3857"

instead of all the extra structure it has now.

So I guess I don't have an opinion one way or the other on removing the CRS
from the standard, just wanted to mention that I'm using it.

-Mike