[GeoJSON] Future plans for GeoJSON

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:07:34 PDT 2013

Hi Stefan,

I remain interested in submitting a draft to the IETF and would love help.
In fact, it's clear that I need help. I've been squatting on the idea of
doing it for some time and am embarrassed to have done nothing much about
it. I don't know if you've been through the process before, but I have some
friends and mentors that have and am sure of getting good advice.

One thing I'd like to consider, either before or during the process, would
be to strip out the CRS parts of the specification that get very little
use. Specifically, the linked and named CRS types. I've only seen
non-long/lat GeoJSON in the wild a couple times (City of Chicago's open
data is one) and the producers aren't following the specification with
regards to CRS. This suggests to me that those parts of the spec are either
broken or superfluous.

Sean Gillies