[Geojson] Assessing date/time ideas

Kristoffer Snabb kristoffer.snabb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 14:01:27 PDT 2011

Hi Sean,

Expanding the domain to cover that of feeds helps,

We use GeoJSON to carry 'soft' data of perceptions and temporary data
connected to a place, route or area. In this case we have been using
different media to describe the context of the place and specific
perceptions of a place. Anyway, we have survived with adding a property of
mimetype and url but it would be nice if there existed a standard way to do
this in the GeoJSON specification.

And we also expect that the perceptions of a place change over time and in
that way they are created and they expire. A timestamp (feed) is also needed
if we create time space diagram of routes. Although when we map daily
activities of people they tend to stay many hours in one place in which case
the create and expire time is again needed.

Hope this clarifies something,,

Kristoffer

2011/9/30 Sean Gillies <sean.gillies at gmail.com>

> Time comes up in several places in the proposal fodder section of
>
>  https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/geojson-spec/wiki/Scope
>
> Which of these are equivalent (more or less) to the Atom/RSS notions
> of a modification time stamp? Which are not? In combination with an id
> (already recommended in GeoJSON) that kind of timestamp lets you sync
> features between systems. With this in mind, the "adding media" bullet
> suggests that some of us are looking for GeoJSON to expand its domain
> to cover that of feeds. Is my assessment right?
>
> --
> Sean Gillies

Kristoffer Snabb
tel.+358407475576