[Geojson] GeoJSON 1.1 development framework

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 14:45:24 PDT 2011

All,

Much has changed since 2008 and GeoJSON is being used by new projects
and in new ways. 4 (so far) of the 6 original authors of the 1.0
specification have expressed interest in working on a new and improved
version. To give us a place to work, I've created a "GeoJSONWG"
organization at https://github.com/GeoJSONWG, imported the
restructured text source for version 1.0 into a new repository, and
added a first wiki page. See

  https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/geojson-spec/blob/master/geojson-spec-draft.rst
  https://github.com/GeoJSONWG/geojson-spec/wiki/Scope

I've made Howard Butler a co-owner of the organization, and will do
the same for Martin, Allan, Tim, and Christopher if they are willing.

Please add to the Scope document what you think GeoJSON needs now in
order to keep serving the technical needs of web developers and then
let's discuss which of them we should take on and make a road map for
doing so. We haven't discussed a time frame yet, but I'm imagining
months not years and that (based on responses so far) we will keep the
scope modest.

Looking forward to your contributions,

--
Sean Gillies